Friday, July 13, 2012

Camping!

Matt and I like to spend time in the mountains and even though we love the local ones we wanted to go somewhere different. I had never really been in the Big Horns so we went up there above Ten Sleep and it was a blast!
This was our path. The red was the way up, star is about where we camped, and purple is the way back. Isn't this just a beautiful state? I love it. :)

Our vehichle didn't have AC so it was a pretty long, hot drive, especially on the way back between Buffalo and Casper (I "offered" to drive because the sun was beating in the passenger side window) :) but the boys were just awesome in the car. Dean got restless a couple times but I either had to feed him (20 min max) or one of us sat in the back by him and he was fine. Brennen was SO good!
We got there pretty late Tuesday night so we found a random spot to camp in the dark. First thing in the morning Matt did a little fishing and then we packed up and headed to a new place. We spent all day Wednesday exploring the area and hiking and fishing around a couple of lakes.
The creek by our first campsite.

Brennen zonked out in the tent. He slept past 7 both days!

Dean asleep in the car. Don't worry, he didn't sleep there all night and we didn't do any driving with him there. :)

Me and my Dean! I carried him in this pack most of the time.

Matt getting his lure out of the lake. hee hee

Brennen and a rainbow trout Matt caught. He liked it until it started flopping around.

Then we found a new campsite and hiked and fished the creek around there then ate a yummy dinner and went to bed. Thursday we packed up again and then did more exploring and hanging out by Meadowlark Lake and fishing on the creek that went into it (forgot its name). Then we decided to head back. Matt wanted to spend another night but two nights in a tent with a 3 month old is about the max for this mother. (Matt actually was on board with me after he spent half of the second night with Dean in HIS sleeping bag). :)
Our second campsite.

Dean hanging out in the camp chair.
Matt with Brennen down by the creek.

Me and my boys! I love them. :) That view behind me looked WAY cooler in person.

Brennen needed to be distracted during meal preparation so we had him building a tower out of wood. He actually moved some of those logs by himself!
Matt is always our camp cook. Good thing we have this stove. Propane was allowed but we couldn't make a fire. I actually kind of liked that because one thing that I don't really like about camping is the smoke smell all over everything.

Our friend John. At least we think that's what it was... we opted not to go inside.

Kickin' back.

Some wildflowers.

Notice anything amiss in this picture? That was our "fridge."

View from our campsite. Again, way better in real life.

Brothers! Dean looks like a gansta.

Did you see that sky today? Talk about blue! :) This was Thursday morning. If you look closely you can see a little sliver of the moon in the lower left corner. Brennen spotted it before we did. He's very observant.

Our family down by the river!

Brennen LOVED it. The whole way up in the car he kept talking about camping and the mountains. Then he got as dirty as a two year old can get and loved playing in the dirt. He slept SO well, too, once he actually fell asleep. Both nights, we had gotten Dean to sleep and then after awhile of telling Brennen to go to sleep, too, we just decided to ignore him and listened to him sing wheels on the bus (did you know there is a mother penguin on the bus who says "quack, quack quack?"), frowny face, and a few other primary songs until he sang himself to sleep.
Playing in the dirt.

Dean had the same sleeping and eating patterns that he usually does and was just the same, good, happy baby the whole trip!
All tuckered out.

 It was SO nice to get away! I loved spending these few days with my little family and no one was grumpy and we were all happy and relaxed. I really needed this little vacation and I really love spending time out in nature and exploring the beauty all around me. The only thing I don't like is the bugs. :)

2 comments:

Ryan Kelli and Clara said...

Great pictures! What a beautiful family! I am so happy for you!

~April~ said...

You guy are awesome and I'm glad you have so much fun camping. I'm excited to see you soon!