Saturday, February 5, 2011

Just Sayin’.

So… ever since I found out I was pregnant with Brennen I have felt ENORMOUS pressure to buy all the “best” baby things in order to be a “good mom.”

I personally feel like a LOT of mothers (and fathers for that matter) give in to this pressure and get all of the best, most expensive stuff even if they really can’t afford it simply because everyone else is doing it and they feel that it will make them better parents.

So I have had my moments of feeling sad and even guilty that I’m not being a “good mom” to Brennen because we couldn’t afford the nicest things. So in case anyone is reading this who feels the same as me, let me tell you something that may ease your mind a little.

It DOESN’T MATTER if you don’t have:

  • a “perfect” matching “nursery” with tons of decorations
  • an expensive crib with matching changing table and dresser
  • everything perfectly color-coded
  • crib bumpers and matching bedding
  • every…single…toy that is supposed to be “the best”
  • the most expensive, top brand car seat and stroller
  • 50 million different outfits
  • organic baby food that you make yourself
  • a “perfect” hour by hour feeding and sleeping schedule for the baby (i understand that it’s nice to feed the baby at regular intervals and to make sure he gets the sleep he needs but if something gets a little “off” in the “perfect” schedule, it’s OK!)
  • hand-made blankets, nursing covers, bows, burp rags, bibs, crib bumpers, and etc.
  • and a billion other things that the world thinks you NEED

I’ve come to realize that those things DON’T MATTER. All my baby needs is food, clothes, a house to live in, somewhere to sleep, and mostly LOVE from his parents and family. I’m tired of feeling bad about the things that I don’t have or the things that we’re just not able to get for Brennen right now. It’s not that I want those things just to have them, it’s that all the media and things that other parents are doing make me feel like I’m somehow not good enough. I know I probably put most of the pressure on myself but like I said, if anyone else is reading this who feels the same way as me, know that it just doesn’t matter!

Ok, vent over. :) A post wouldn’t be complete without a picture of my cute little guy. This one is a blast from the past. He’s about two months old in this one and he sure is adorable.

brennen3

4 comments:

Christena said...

I love you so much!!! I think a lot of moms put too much pressure on themselves. Thanks for the reminder to chill. ;)

~April~ said...

You are AWESOME!!!!

Brooke Carroll said...

I read this and felt the same way. It's so hard when you want your kids to have EVERYTHING, but they don't need all of that junk. It's not necessary! Almost everything we have for the girls (clothes, toys) are hand-me-downs from Nate's sister. That is the ONLY way our kids would have anything! It's too expensive to buy a ton of clothes and toys, etc. The crib we have for the girls is Nate's from when he was a baby. That sucker is 27 years old...it is OLD, but it still works! So don't feel bad. It's hard when people say things or make you feel bad about it (trust me, I have had to go through this with...certain people, who like to spend $80 for their kids's SHOES) Ugh. I know you are such a good mom and that little boy wants nothing more than to be loved by his mom and dad! I hope you are doing good and feeling great. You take care and keep posting pictures of that sweet boy. He is SO cute. I love his little face!

Stefany said...

AMEN sister!