Saturday, June 8, 2013

Like Heaven

Sometimes life on earth can seem like heaven.

For me it has felt that way for over a week. Last Saturday was just a perfect day.
No one was impatient or unkind.
No one got angry or snapped at anyone.
And if I started to have negative thoughts or feel irritated I just told myself, “No, don’t do it. Don’t ruin this day.” And it worked.
I had my piano recital and the kids all did such a great job and I was SO proud of all of them!
Then our little family spent the day outside planting a garden and just enjoying the nice weather. We took a walk up to campus and the boys played so happily together. Nothing spectacular happened, it was just a perfect day and I felt happy and I felt even more love for Matt and the boys.

Me with all of my students.
IMG_4206

The boys “helping” Matt with the garden.
IMG_4212

And it has been that way ever since! With only one or two exceptions, no one has lost their temper. No one has been stressed. Brennen has even been much more obedient (or perhaps I’ve just been more patient). And I continue to tell myself not to ruin such great days and it keeps working.

During the week I spent a lot of time outside with the boys and we had fun playing when we were inside. There’s been some construction right outside our house and Dean will NOT stay away from it. I only take him out when they’re done working because of it. He loves to walk around independently. We also went to a little kid fishing pond here in town and Brennen helped each of us catch a fish.

IMG_4228IMG_4234IMG_4237IMG_4239

The best part happened last night. We decided to go up to Curt Gowdy State Park. We went on a hike that we’d gone on a few times before, 2 miles one way. We put Dean in the back pack and Brennen in the stroller until the road got a little too rough for it. Then he either walked or rode on Matt’s shoulders. (a side note: I realized I’m in pretty good shape! I carried my 25 pound toddler in the back pack most of the way up and half the way back and it wasn’t very hard! And if you know my husband you know that he hikes quickly. It is not a leisurely stroll). :)

There are only a couple other places in the world where I feel more at peace and feel God’s love for me more than I do on a nice night out doors in the beautiful world we have. We were walking around the lake and the water was SO clear and the weather was just perfect. There was just a happy air around us and I thought to myself, “This must be what heaven is like.” What could be better than being in beautiful surroundings with the people you love most in the world.

IMG_4247

IMG_4250IMG_4255IMG_4251

It’s hard to describe but I just feel so thankful for the wonderful week we’ve had. I know that life is not always perfect and that we all make mistakes and things are just going to go wrong sometimes. But I also know that we can control our happiness no matter what our circumstances are. We can choose to be positive. We can choose to love ourselves and others around us. We can choose to be happy and focus on those things that matter most.

No comments: