Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Monday May 25
8:21 AM: I wake up when Matt's cousin Brian calls to see if I would like to work today (for the inlaws lawn business). I say yes even though it's a holiday because they needed help and I needed the cash.
1:30 PM: I have realized that I am sadly out of shape and Matt's brother Kyle and I are mowing a very long thick lawn in the POURING rain.
4:00 PM: I arrive back home, incredibly stiff and sore, fried like a chicken and soaked to the bone. It has not been a fun day.
Tuesday May 26
2:00-4:00 AM: I wake up from really strange dreams and have to run to the bathroom because I think I'm going to be sick. I never was sick however (a good thing). This happened 3 or 4 times within this time period.
8:44 AM: Matt leaves for work and for no good reason I start freaking out about my dentist appointment at 12:30. For those of you who know me you know that the dentist is old hat for me but I am crying and shaking and not wanting to eat.
10:55 AM: Sarah brings me an anxiety pill. :)
12:30 PM: I go to the dentist and am shot 4 times in preparation for 2 teeth extractions. One is a wisdom tooth and the other is the molar right next to it that has some serious problems. The wisdom tooth and molar directly underneath are also missing so now that side of my mouth matches and has 4 less teeth than the other side of my mouth. Man who wants to be losing teeth at age 24? Not me!
12:45 PM: I am staring at a very familiar elk painting while waiting to be fully numb. (hmm... have I been in this room before? Oh yeah! maybe about 15 other times).
1:05 PM: My teeth are pulled in a very quick manner and I stuff some gauze in my mouth. I am told that the site will probably only bleed for about an hour or 2.
1:30 PM: I take Matt back to work after his lunch break. On the way back I decide to check the mail but as I'm reaching for the mail key my finger gets hooked on Matt's fishing hook... it takes about 5 minutes to get it off and now not only is my extraction site bleeding but so is my finger.
1:40 PM: As I'm opening my mail I get a massive paper cut. A third bleeding site.
4:50 PM: I set out to pick up Matt from work. Extraction site is still bleeding and I am out of gauze.
6:00 PM: I'm half asleep on the couch trying not to pay attention to Matt eating dinner. I am starving but in pain and... extraction site is still bleeding.
7:20 PM: We go to wal mart and I'm feeling a little better but.... extraction site is still bleeding.
7:40 PM: I force myself to eat some yogurt.
9:00 PM: Matt comes home from a softball game feeling frustrated and goes into our room. Less than 5 minutes later I go in to talk to him and he is nowhere to be found... we live on the 2nd floor and to get out he would have had to come back through the living room.... I am very baffled.
10:00 PM: Matt comes back..... but not in the front door. From our bedroom. He tells me that he climbed down the balcony just for fun and then went for a bike ride to decompress from the day. Then he climbed back UP the balcony. Ug!
Wednesday May 27
2:00-5:00 AM: I wake up about 5 times to rinse my mouth because... extraction site is still bleeding and I'm in pretty bad pain.
6:14 AM: Sub secretary calls to ask if I can sub this afternoon from 11:45-3:30. I feel like crap but say yes because, again, we need the cash.
6:44 AM: My father in law calls asking if I can work this morning. I almost say yes and then remember that the extraction site is still bleeding and hard work will probably be bad for that...
9:00 AM: I arrive back home after taking Matt to work and turn on the shower. The shower head blasts off and breaks and I can't figure out how to fix it. So I decide to take a bath but the drain won't stay plugged so I take a sponge bath instead.
9:40 AM: I am starving and would really like some breakfast but..... extraction site is still bleeding.

So now that I've vented all of those things, I have decided to list some blessings that are related to the not so fun things I have listed above.
*Since I worked so hard I feel better about myself and was able to make some money.
*I learned that while they may help, I don't really need anxiety pills and the Lord and the Holy Ghost can help me to feel more calm.
*Because my tooth was pulled it will no longer give me pain.
*Novocaine is great because it helps numb the pain. :)
*My husband keeps spare fish hooks around so that we will be able to catch food in any situation.
*Even though I can't exercise right now because of the still bleeding extraction site, because I can't eat much, I won't gain any extra weight!
*Matt works at a pharmacy so I was able to easily obtain more gauze at a discounted price.
*I get much needed love and sympathy from my wonderful spouse and father in law.
*My husband is very acrobatic and athletic.
*I get to make more money today because I took the sub job.
*I had the opportunity to try new things (aka. the sponge bath).

Other blessings of late:
*I graduated from college!
*My whole family came to visit me!
*My teeth extractions cost about half of what I thought they would.
*My piano students are having a recital tomorrow and they are all doing so great!
*I have gained 5 piano students.
*Because I haven't been getting called to sub very much I have been exercising regularly and have been keeping the apartment clean.
*There are many more blessings but this post is long enough!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

My first thought Mel was, I sure hope she doesn't bleed to death! And good for you for looking for some blessings!

~April~ said...

I must say.... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you seester!

Sarah R said...

Ha Ha! Okay, I know it wasn't funny for you, but it was sure funny to read about! I feel for you, though! I hope you feel better soon. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?!

Karen said...

What a seriously rotten couple of days you've had. Good job to see the silver lining. You are a better woman than me!

Robertson Family said...

Gareth and I are reading and really feeling sad for you. We are almost certain that that is the worst couple of days ever but you are sure a good woman to think of your blessings.