Thursday, January 29, 2009

Elementary

I've been teaching all day every day now for about 3 weeks (the first week I only taught 3 grades) and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of things. The kids are so funny and so fun (most of the time) so I thought I'd share a few fun or funny things.
6th and 5th grade aren't really cute or funny. So I'll move on to the other grades. :)
4th grade: We are starting to learn how to play recorder. I was working with one group of students and I glanced over to the other group to see two of the boys using their recorders as "weapons" and were "shooting" each other with them. This was funny enough because I used to "shoot" people in band with my flute, but then Brandon actually threw his recorder at Garrett and the latter boy had to go to the nurse because it hit him in the EYE. I went to check on him after class and he had quite the shiner. The nurse came in to talk to me and couldn't stop laughing because a plastic recorder had caused the damage.
3rd grade: On the first day of my practicum last semester (at the same elementary school where I'm at now) the 3rd graders were learning a Hanukkah song for the holiday program. My mentor teacher explained that it is a Jewish holiday and Alex bursts out, "I hate the Jews! They killed Jesus!" Man was I glad I wasn't the teacher that day. What do you SAY to that??
2nd grade: Today I pulled out a metalophone (which is a xylophone except with metal bars instead of wooden ones) and asked the kids if they knew what it was called. It was unanimous. "An X-o-phone!" ha ha, I couldn't help but laugh. After I corrected them on their pronunciation of 'zy-lo-phone' I told them that this instrument was actually called a metalophone. Baden then asked, "Is it called that because the bars are made of metala?" hee hee close but not quite... And THEN, Chris proceeds to tell me about the legend of the spirit that dwells in the metalophone.... um... ok?
1st grade: This was just cute. Jeremiah (a girl) asked me today, "Did you put colors on your eyes today? Because you look very pretty." :) How nice! (especially coming from a girl who recieves a yellow slip almost every day for bad behavior).
And kindergarten. There are plenty of cute things to say about them, but it's just so fun that they all literally clamor all over me so that they can ALL sit RIGHT next to me in the circle. hee hee it makes me feel so loved! But the other day one adorable little girl, Luna, who I also taught at the Open School told me that she loves me and she loves music and that she wishes she could come every day. So sweet! Only seconds later, before I could stop it, she shoved a boy over, he hit his head on the piano, she rolled him under it, kissed him right on his poor little lips, kicked him, then said, "I hate you." Needless to say, she was given a yellow slip and sent to the office.

3 comments:

the Spearman's said...

Mel, it sounds like teaching is very exciting! I am hopign to find out for myself very soon as a special education teacher. I have been reading your blog during my long work shifts and it is so nice to read up on your life. I just recieved my first visiting teaching assignmemt since moving to Texas and it made me miss the good old days.

Christena said...

I'm so glad that you wrote things. I love to read about your life. Those are such cute stories. It sounds like you are loving student teaching and that you are good at it. I hope that it stays good for you.

The Maggards said...

LOL! Those are great stories! I love them! I am glad that teaching is going well... soon enough you will have a little music student to call your own :)